After a series of bold economic and political reforms, the 22nd World Economic Forum on East Asia will be the first leading international gathering of senior decision-makers from industry, government, academia and civil society to be held in Myanmar. Through this unique multistakeholder platform, the meeting will be an unrivalled opportunity to understand and to shape Myanmar's ongoing reforms and reconciliation process. Additionally, as Myanmar assumes the chairmanship of ASEAN in 2014, it will have a critical role in guiding the bloc's ten member economies toward the planned economic integration in 2015. In this regard, the meeting will provide value not only to participants from the ASEAN region, but also to those who see in the ASEAN countries an important evolving geopolitical and geo-economic pillar of the global economy.
- How will Myanmar balance rapid social, economic and political reforms while ensuring equitable and sustainable growth, employment creation and resource security?
- How will ASEAN manage its inherent internal diversity against its strategic bilateral relationships with key partners such as China, India and the USA?
- How will government and institutions develop the financial policies to manage inflation, capital outflows and rebalance growth towards greater domestic and regional demand?
- How will ASEAN's emerging and fast-growing economies such as Cambodia, Laos and - Myanmar become better connected to the region through improved infrastructure?
- How will ASEAN unify its efforts to strengthen risk resilience?
Did You Know?
There are many neighboring countries which surrounds Myanmar; namely, Bangladesh in the west, India in the northwest, China in the southeast, Laos and Thailand in the East. ... More